Award in Supervising First Aid for Mental Health
This course builds on the Level 2 Award in First Aid for Mental Health and covers a wider range of mental health conditions, and goes into detail on the range of therapy and professional support that a person may be given by professional bodies during treatment for a mental health condition.
The course is suitable for all persons within a workplace but is aimed at those who hold a supervisory/managerial level position and who have responsibility for implementing a positive mental health culture and responsibility for first aid for mental health within an organisation.
Units / Modules
- What mental health is, why people develop mental health conditions and the role of a first-aider for mental health
- Know how to provide advice and practical support for a person presenting a suspected mental health condition
- Know how to recognise and manage stress
- Understand the impact of substance abuse on mental health
- Understand the first aid action plan for mental health and be able to put it in place
- Know how to implement a positive mental health culture in the workplace
- Understand a range of mental health disorders and the support/therapy provided by professional healthcare providers
The qualification is assessed through two written assessment papers and the practical demonstration of the first aid action plan for mental health. Learners must successfully pass all parts of the assessment to be awarded the qualification.
There are no formal qualification requirements, however, a good standard of English and digital literacy is essential.
This course may support you into employment or on to higher level apprenticeships or study.